Utilizing Trouble Groups for Virtual Packet Loss

tcp

Note: I partially answered this myself by going back to the documentation over at https://docs.extrahop.com/current/web-ui-users-guide/. You can review a description on how EH flags Virtual Packet Loss. It identifies VMs and tracks RTOs.

Good day, all!

I have a fairly open ended question that is related to the joys of virtualization, databases, RTOs, and virtual packet loss. Note that I’m fairly new to ExtraHop.

I’m inspecting a plethora of database servers that interact with many different types of applications. Each has a high number of RTOs and I am trying to pinpoint some of the potential causes. In this scenario, I believe there are multiple factors at play but hypervisor over-utilization and low VM resources may/may not be a factor.

During my investigation, I reviewed the Virtual Packet Loss Trouble Group (Groups > Trouble Groups > Virtual Packet Loss) and I am curious about how EH determines this. I’m guessing it is just based on RTOs?

I’m looking to utilize this data to take to other parts of our team to justify resource adjustments and want to know more.

Hi @joshuagoode did the Web UI Users Guide help answer your question? We have some other resources that may help too, you can check out our blog posts and resources on some of the subjects you were curious about:

There’s also a related Forums answer here: How does ExtraHop calculate an RTO? that you may be interested in too…

Does this help in your investigation?