Is there an Alternative to a Dual Y-Axis Chart?

I am working with a customer who has an older ExtraHop stack running version 5.3.

There is a device-level graph that is their go-to when troubleshooting but it’s running on dual Y-axis graphs and from what I understand, this is no longer a feature.

Is there a solution around this?

The main desire is to visualize a time series chart (bottom axis) with the left showing count and the right showing processing time.

Hi @emilh,

Unfortunately, there’s no direct equivalent to this view in newer charts.

Some questions about their use case in order to see if there’s a workaround we can provide:

1. Is this a built-in or custom metric?
  2. Is the screenshot you posted the only data they need this view for troubleshooting?
  3. Do they need to review all methods or just the busiest or slowest?
  4. If all of them, any chance that list is fairly stable over time?

Hey @mikelly - thank you for the follow up!

1. Is this a built-in or custom metric?
    These are built-in metrics. URI & Methods by Processing Time.

2. Is the screenshot you posted the only data they need this view for troubleshooting?
    The reason they’re so committed to the graphic is because it gives them on overview in a single graph versus needing to work with many.

I tried to replicate on current but indeed multiple graphs are needed.

1. Do they need to review all methods or just the busiest or slowest?
    All is preferred.

2. If all of them, any chance that list is fairly stable over time?
    Fairly stable, yes; there aren’t expected application updates that would affect this.

In addition to the dual-axis chart, do they also rely on the “confidence interval” drill-down with average mean time and variance?

Thanks for clarification, @emilh.

The closest replacement chart to the dual-axis chart is the combined Line and Column widget. You can put count metrics in the line chart and timing metrics in the column below or vice versa.

This chart has to be used on a dashboard. So one possible workaround is to make a dashboard for your metric of interest and then temporarily filter a line and column chart to whichever method or URI you want to view.

Here’s an example of how that could look:

We start with a summary chart. You might use a couple line charts so that you can spot the busiest and slowest methods. Or you might use a table. Or have both.

Below that you have the line and column chart which shows one method at a time. When you find a method in the table or chart above you can open the chart editor and paste the string in to focus on that metric:

Dashboard viewers are able to do this without making any changes to the dashboard itself.

Also once this chart editor is open you can toggle between viewing a table and viewing the line and column chart if you need to keep looking at more methods.

Let me know if this workaround is viable for the customer. If the line and column visualization is working for them we can look into some product enhancements to simplify this workflow.

Thank you so much, this is so great!
I will follow back up with the customer and go over this.

I appreciate your support in this!

Hello,

Just wanted to follow up here. I worked with the customer and proposed your suggestion.

After getting it situated and showing them the workflow, they like what they see so far. Obviously there were some differences in workflow but so far so good. They will poll this internally and follow back up accordingly.

Thank you again for this suggestion!

You’re welcome! Glad to hear that the dashboard is working for them.